For lovers of hurdiness and gurdiness
The hurdy gurdy is an ancient instrument that has been played for centuries. With its distinctive sound, this rare instrument is heavily sought-after by ‘in-the-know’ musicians.
Now, we’re putting the hurdy gurdy into your pocket.
- For lovers of this rare and sought-after instrument, or for the musically curious, purchase a hurd-i gurd-i for only £1.99
- Fun and easy to use, create rhythms and unique sounds to share with your friends
- Hear the haunting tones of Steve Tyler, last of the great hurdy gurdy troubadours
- Original songs to play along to
- Carry a virtual version of this epic instrument in your pocket
- Develop your rhythmic skills and coordination and impress your friends in trompette mode
Have you hurd about the gurd?
The magnificent Hurdy Gurdy is an ancient mechanical stringed instrument, thought to have originated in the Europe, and was popular in the renaissance era. Powered by a hand-turned rotating wheel, its haunting drones resonate with echoes from the past. Now, with the innovation of the iPhone, this beautiful instrument has an opportunity for reinvention!
There are three main elements to the hurdy gurdy:
- The drone (a long atmospheric background note underpinning the music)
- The keyboard (a series of buttons which allow you to play your favourite songs)
- The trompette (a unique buzzing sound caused when the string touches the ‘dog’; this adds a rhythm to the music)
All three elements are included in the Hurdy Gurdy App. You can even play along to a selection of songs by physically turning the phone in a circle, just like having the real instrument.By purchasing the Hurdy Gurdy App for iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch, you will be able to carry a virtual version of this instrument in your pocket.